Welcome to Reservation Telephone Cooperative
Our Mission is to provide quality telecommunications services at competitive prices.
What is a cooperative?
A cooperative is a business owned by those it serves. Reservation Telephone Cooperative (RTC) was formed in 1951 to provide low cost quality telephone service to its member owners.
How can I participate?
As a member owner, you are given an opportunity each year to be nominated or to nominate someone for the RTC Board of Directors. The election of RTC Directors is held each year at RTC’s Annual Meeting. The rights and obligations of RTC’s members are covered in the RTC by-laws.
What are Capital Credits?
Capital credits are your reward for doing business with your cooperative. RTC uses capital credits to operate and to make capital improvements. By using capital credits, RTC is able to hold down the cost of service and provide state-of-the-art service to you the member-owners.
Guided by the Cooperative Philosophy
Practice Sound Financial Management
Focus on the Customer
Value and Support Employees
Support Our Local Communities
- October 28, 1949 – President Truman signs the telephone amendment to the Rural Electrification Act of 1935 to provide low cost loans to be used to improve and to provide telephone service to rural areas of America.
- July 7, 1950 – First public meeting to discuss the formation of our telephone cooperative takes place in Garrison.
- January 1951 – Area residents and representatives from the telephone companies at Parshall, Plaza, Makoti, Ryder, Van Hook, and Sanish meet at Roseglen and decide to form a rural telephone cooperative named Reservation Mutual Aid Telephone Corporation.
- October 16, 1951 – Articles of Incorporation are filed.
- August 12, 1952 – RTC’s first REA loan is obtained for $417,000.00.
- August 14, 1952 – Fred Ahlgren is named General Manager.
- 1952 – 1954 – Reservation Mutual Aid Telephone Corporation has business offices at Parshall Memorial Hall above the auditorium and at the Creamery building, which is now Parshall’s funeral home.
- 1952 – New Town exchange replaces the Van Hook and Sanish exchanges.
- 1954 – 1958 – Telephone exchanges at Parshall, Plaza, Makoti, Ryder, Emmet, Roseglen, Arnegard, Keene, Norma, Spencer, Ross and Douglas are added.
- 1958 – RTC headquarters building is built.
- 1959 – RTC begins offering mobile telephone service with towers at Keene, Parshall and Roseglen. IMTS (Improved Mobile Telephone Service) is offered over radio channels licensed by FCC (Federal Communications Commission).
- 1959 – Original nine member Board of Directors reorganize into a board of seven members. Reservation Mutual Aid Telephone Corporation changes to Reservation Telephone Cooperative (RTC).
- 1963 – Minuteman Missile installations began. RTC provides service to 7 sites.
- 1967 – RTC’s “Service Improvement Program” begins to bring one party service to all of the subscribers and replace the open wire plant with underground facilities.
- 1971 – Squaw Gap exchange added.
- Dec. 15, 1971 – Squaw Gap and the rest of the world are connected by telephone. NBC (National Broadcasting Corporation) along with thousands of viewers and Squaw Gap subscribers gather to witness the first phone call made by Donnell Haugen, president of the RTC board and Squaw Gap resident, Ray Macik to Washington D.C., where Earl Butz, Secretary of Agriculture is on the line to congratulate them.
- August, 1972 – All subscribers now have private line service.
- 1973 – 1974 – All exchanges are converted to direct distance dialing and automatic number identification.
- 1974 – Mandaree exchange is added.
- 1976 – First major addition to the headquarters building is completed.– RTC becomes member of NCDC (North Central Data Cooperative) now known as NISC (National Information Solutions Cooperative).– Phone billing is converted to computer.
- 1980 – RTC hires Gene Sloan as new General Manager.
- 1980 – Fred Ahlgren, RTC’s first General Manager, retires ending a 28 year career (1952-1980)
- 1981 – RTC gets into the cable TV business. Rolfson Construction plows coaxial TV cable in New Town and Parshall.
- 1983 – Headquarters building is expanded to make room for the new digital switch.
- 1984 – New digital switch is installed. AT&T Divestiture becomes a reality.
- 1985 – RTC starts replacing the old rotary dial telephone sets with new touch-tone phones that could be plugged into a modular connection.
- 1987 – Royce Aslakson is hired to train for Office Manager. RTC plows coaxial TV cable in Plaza. RTC becomes member of North Central Regional Processing Center (NCRPC).
- 1988 – RTC plows coaxial TV cable in Makoti. Max Adams, RTC’s first Office Manager, retires after 35 years of service.
- 1989 – RTC plows coaxial TV cable in Ryder. RTC purchases Arnegard cable TV system from a private individual. Payroll and labor accounting becomes automated with the aid of NCDC.
- 1989 – RTC upgrades new digital switches and plows fiber optic cable as the backbone for toll network.
- 1990′s – College scholarship program implemented for high school seniors.
- September, 1995 – RTC announces it will offer Internet service.
- June, 1996 – RTC purchases the exchanges of Garrison, Max and Kenmare. RTC sells payphone business.
- 1996 – RTC becomes member of Dakota Carrier Network (DCN).
- August, 1998 – RTC joins North Dakota Long Distance as a partner.
- 1998 – Royce Aslakson is selected as Assistant General Manager. New host switch installed in Garrison and remotes installed in Parshall and Max.
- 1999 – RTC goes equal access giving RTC subscribers a choice of long distance carriers.
- May, 1999 – Cellular phone service makes IMTS obsolete and all three systems are shut down.
- 2001 – RTC begins offering DSL (Digital Subscriber Line). Gene Sloan, RTC’s second General Manager retires after 21 years of service.
- September 1, 2001 – Assistant General Manager Royce Aslakson assumes General Manager duties.
- 2003 – RTC installs OC-48 Sonet Ring. RTC begins construction on Multi-purpose Building to house 16 vehicles and include a kitchen. RTC sends first student to Foundation for Rural Service Youth Tour in Washington D.C.
- April 1, 2003 – RTC purchases Watford City and Alexander exchanges from Citizens Telecommunications Company.
- May 2003 – New switch installed in Watford City.
- September 1, 2003 – RTC purchases McKenzie Consolidated Telcom (MCT).
- December 2003 – Former MCT customers are cut over to RTC equipment.
- 2004 – RTC completes construction on Multi-purpose Building.
- November 2, 2004 – RTC purchases the Alexander, Garrison, Kenmare, Max and Watford City cable TV systems from Midcontinent Communications, Inc.
- April 28, 2005 – Ground breaking takes place for addition to headquarters building.
- June 1, 2005 – RTC begins offering WildBlue Satellite Speed Internet service in partnership with National Rural Telecommunications Cooperative (NRTC).
- May 18, 2007 – RTC hosts open house to celebrate the completion of construction on the new headquarters complex.
- January 2009 – RTC introduces new company logo and tagline: Smarter. Better. Faster.
- March, 2009 – RTC enters agreement with Microsoft to use Microsoft Mediaroom as a platform for RTC’s IPTV services.
- August 25, 2009 – RTC broadcasts first local high school sporting event with BEK Sports West (Dunseith at Kenmare football game).
- March, 2010 – RTC is awarded $21.9 Million award through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Award includes a $10.95 Million grant and $10.95 Million loan to expand the availability of broadband service on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation and the Squaw Gap exchange.
- August, 2010 – RTC begins offering WiFi service at various locations throughout their service area.
- December, 2010 – RTC launches new website
- March 1, 2011 – RTC offers surveillance camera systems for residential homes or businesses.
- Fall, 2011 – RTC opens customer office in New Town.
- August 4, 2014 – RTC opens customer office in Watford City.
- January 1, 2015- Assistant General Manager Shane Hart is promoted to GM/CEO.
- June 1, 2015- GM/CEO Royce Aslakson retires with 28 years of service to RTC.